While that may seem unsettling for those married couples, the reality of it all is that couples should be open to discussing financial concerns that could arise should their partnership end due to an unfortunate event.
Premarital agreements in Oklahoma and elsewhere are extremely important because in the unfortunate factor that a divorce occurs, they are a very useful tool in helping make sure that the plan for potential future distribution of assets is out in the open.
This makes it all the more important to consult with a proven and accomplished Tulsa divorce lawyer to get consultation about the importance and value Oklahoma premarital agreements have in a marriage because even the most seemingly perfect and secure relationships can end in divorce.
The Tulsa Family Law Firm of Fry & Elder realizes premarital agreements can be sensitive and complex, which is why our team of skilled family lawyers are here to discuss the benefits premarital agreements can have for each party.
What benefits do Oklahoma premarital agreements provide?
While this can be a very sensitive and personal decision for the couple involved, there are number of benefits that can come about from having a premarital agreement. These include but are not limited to the following:
- A premarital agreement can reduce the conflicts that might come about should the marriage end
- A premarital agreement can better support your estate plan and avoid the courts coming into play to decide property distribution
- A premarital agreement can document any special arrangements that have been made between your spouse and you
- A premarital agreement can help distinguish between what is separate and what is marital property
- A premarital agreement can institute rules and procedures for issues that may arise in the future and assign debt such as credit cards, mortgages and school loans to the appropriate spouse to avoid both spouses sharing debt liability
Experience the Fry & Elder Difference
For 50 years, Fry & Elder has been synonymous with Oklahoma family law. The firm has been named to the esteemed U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms List each of the past six years and our team of attorneys are some of the most decorated in the state. They include:
- A 2019 Best Lawyers® Selection
- One of only 19 attorneys in the state to be a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Best Lawyers® 2016 Lawyer of the Year for Family Law in Oklahoma
- Two attorneys recognized by Super Lawyers®
- Two attorneys AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The 2018 Fern Holland Award Winner
- A 2017 Significant Sig Award Winner
Oklahoma premarital agreements are complex and sensitive issues, which is why we encourage you to contact Fry & Elder today to set up a personal consultation with an accomplished Oklahoma family law attorney.