When same sex marriage in Oklahoma became legal in 2014 so in turn did same sex adoptions, paving the way for couples like this to adopt.
Though still a relatively new practice in Oklahoma, the Tulsa family law firm of Fry & Elder is well versed in Oklahoma same sex adoption practices and has the answers to some frequently asked questions about same sex adoption, which has been gaining traction in Oklahoma and elsewhere.
What are the laws in place regarding Oklahoma same sex adoption?
- Oklahoma joint adoption laws permit and allow for same sex couples to petition to adopt.
- Oklahoma laws also allow for single LGBT individuals to petition to adopt.
- Oklahoma state law additionally allows a same-sex partner to petition to adopt their partner’s child or child of the relationship.
How long does it take for a same sex couple in Oklahoma to adopt?
It’s difficult to give a specific answer due to the fact that each adoption case is different.
Those same sex couples that wish to adopt must go through the proper channels just like a traditional couple, meaning they must go and participate in multiple interviews and fill out necessary paperwork and questionnaires before they officially become licensed to adopt.
The number of factors that go into any adoption are numerous. Some couples might need to take pre-adoption classes and there is no specific timeline on when the right adoption match might occur.
Do same sex couples experience bias during the process that traditional couples do not?
While it is understandable that some same sex couples might perceive this to be true, it really is not the case. In fact, there has been a recent trend that same sex couples might enjoy a greater advantage in the process because more birthparents are now opting to place their children with same sex couples.
What are some other things to be aware of in regards to Oklahoma same sex adoption?
Same sex couple adoption in Oklahoma is a relatively new practice so it is not without controversy, but it is becoming a more and more common occurrence throughout the United States and is gaining acceptance.
Though there are adoption non-discrimination laws in place to protect same sex couples and LGBT people from discrimination by agencies and officials, if you are interested in pursuing a same sex adoption in Oklahoma, it is strongly recommended that you consult with a highly-regarded and experienced Oklahoma adoption attorney.
Why experience the Fry & Elder difference?
The Fry & Elder name has symbolized Oklahoma legal excellence since 1932. The highly-reputable news organization U.S. News & World Report has named the firm to its exclusive Best Law Firms list from 2014-2018.
Fry & Elder attorneys include the following:
- A 2018 Best Lawyers® Selection
- One of only 19 attorneys in the state to be a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year for Family Law in Oklahoma 2016
- Four attorneys recognized by Super Lawyers®
- Three attorneys AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- A Cherokee Nation District Court Judge
- The 2018 Fern Holland Award Winner
- A 2017 OBA Earl Sneed Award Recipient
- The 2018 Tulsa County Bar Association Family Law Section Chair
- A 2017 Significant Sig Award Winner
If you or someone close to you would like additional consultation regarding Oklahoma same sex adoption procedure, we encourage you to contact Fry & Elder today.